These are some of the experiences and musings of an artist and disciple...

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Kazakhstan Reflections Part 1 - Introduction


On the fifth of May, 2012, I went to Kazakhstan on a two week trip….

…and came back changed in some way.  My first challenge, aside from remembering what transpired during the trip as I re-assimilate into western culture, is to compile and explain my trip to friends, to family, to my church…

It has been some time since my return and I admit that then transition back into Canada was hard.  I went straight from work into the missions field and then straight back to work again.  I didn't get time off to think about what I’d just gone through and I had little spare time to spend reflecting on all of the things I had just experienced.  I went right back into my old schedule and routine.

What made this even more difficult was the two week period of isolation that I experienced.  My work schedule and other circumstances resulted in two weeks of isolation from my friends, family, and church.  During that time, I didn’t see anyone, let alone talk to anyone.  It was a rough two weeks because I had a lot in my head that I really wanted to digest and share.

Eventually, however, that period of isolation ended and I was able to begin sharing my experiences and thoughts.

I expected that one of the first things to come out of people’s mouths when they saw me was “How was Kazakhstan?” or “How did the trip go?”.  These questions seem like very easy questions to answer, but I find them very challenging questions.  It is very similar to someone asking a painter “What does this painting mean?”.  Often there is an answer, but the painter has difficulty communicating the meaning of his painting to other people.  This is because there are dozens of layers of meaning and emotion in the painting that the painter knows, thinks and feels when he sees his painting.  He remembers the layers of paint that he used as he created it.  He remembers layering paint on top of paint in a way that perpetually formed the meaning of the painting to reflect the emotions of his heart and the thoughts of his mind.  These are maybe things that cannot be properly expressed through the use of words and so the artist painted the picture to communicate them.  So what can the painter say when he is asked what the meaning is of his picture? He will often simplify the answer into something that people can understand.

Like the artist’s painting my trip had many different layers, though they are not made of paint, but rather they are made of experiences.  There were good experiences and there were not so great experiences.  The layers seem to stretch so thick that to say “It went well” or “It was good” seems to subtract from this trip’s meaning in my life.  But if I were to, like the artist, simplify the answer to something that people would understand, I would end up with a statement like “Kazakhstan changed me!

My pastor once referred to missions trips as “people changing events”.  He compared people to shapes depending on their culture.  Take for instance, Mr. Squarehead.  Mr. Squarehead was born and raised in his home culture of mostly square-headed people.  It is natural for Mr. Squarehead to have a squarehead because he has only really experienced interactions with other squareheads that make up the square society. 

Then one day Mr. Squarehead goes on a trip to another country.  There he sees few squareheads.  Instead he interacts with circleheads.  Eventually he immerses himself into the new culture of circle people that make up the circle society.  Over a period of time Mr. Squarehead begins to change.  His squarehead become less like a squarehead and more like a square-circlehead (or an octagon).  This has taken place as he has been assimilated into the circle culture.  He has begun seeing life through the eyes of circleheaded people.  And so Mr. Squarehead’s head ceases to be a square and becomes instead, an octagon.

What has changed people like Mr. Squarehead, is the experiences that they have had; how they experienced the language, the people, the traditions and rituals, the beliefs and values.  It is essentially how we interact with culture that shapes us (or rather how culture interacts with us).  We are by-products of our culture, no matter how much we want think otherwise.  When we experience a new culture, we soon find that we have to assimilate into it or else become victims of culture-shock.  It is then that the new culture will leave its fingerprint on who we are and how we think.

Of course there are other forces that change us as well, but none that shapes us on the foundational level as culture does.

And then there is God.  I know that in some capacity, I was brought to experience the things that I did because of God’s guidance.  He had brought me to a place where I finally was able to step out in faith and let go of the things that I was holding on to.  For me, going on this trip was a relatively easy decision to make (as I really wanted to go), but the process I had to go through leading up to the trip was not an easy thing to deal with; but I made it and the result of following God’s guidance has been tremendous uplifting.

In the same quality that Mr. Squarehead’s squarehead changed into an octagonhead, I believe that I too have changed.  I still am discovering the many ways that I have turned from a square into an octagon, but this blog series is not going to be about how I am now different from what I once was, but rather it is about the process of how I have come to be changed...

No comments:

Post a Comment